If you are planning a trip to the coast of Georgia, then you should consider visiting Saint Simons Island. St. Simons Island is located on the Georgia coast and is known for its canoeing, kayak tours, and stand-up paddleboarding opportunities. You can bask in the sunlight, cool off in the water, and try out a new activity! If you want to break out your SUP and go for an aquatic adventure on Saint Simons Island, then take a look at some helpful information below, and work with a professional who can help you plan your trip!
An Overview of Stand Up Paddleboarding in Coastal Georgia
If you have never gone paddleboarding before, you may be wondering what this is. Stand-up paddleboarding, usually shortened to SUP, has been compared to wakeboarding, surfing, and who may! During this activity, you will stand up on a thin paddleboard and propel yourself through the water using a paddle. Instead of trying to catch a wave, you will push yourself forward, giving yourself a bit of a workout!
There are a lot of reasons why beginners and advanced paddleboarders have fallen in love with this sport. First, it is not that expensive. You do not necessarily have to purchase your own equipment, as there are often paddleboard rentals available through a local watersports company, such as Turtle Tides Paddleboards, Kingfisher Paddleventures, or Southeast Adventure Outfitters. Second, you can perform a lot of other activities when you go stand-up paddleboarding. You can race against other people, perform yoga, play a sport with a ball, or even go fishing! This is a sport for all skill levels!
Finally, it is not that hard to learn. All it takes is a bit of practice, and even children can give stand-up paddleboarding a try during one of your boat tours or day trips!
What Do You Need To Bring With You When You Go Paddleboarding?
If you want to go paddleboarding, there are several important things you need to bring with you. These include column
- SUP and Paddle (or Rent Them): If you are an experienced stand-up paddleboarder, then you may have your own equipment you want to bring. If that is the case, do not forget to bring your SUP and a paddle! On the other hand, you do not necessarily have to own your own equipment. You may want to check out a rental store in the local area.
- Sunglasses or Goggles: You also need to bring some form of eye protection. If you plan on getting in the water, you may want to bring goggles with you. Make sure these goggles are tinted to protect your eyes from the sunlight. If you don’t plan on going for a swim, you may want to wear sunglasses instead. Make sure you have a strap around them so you don’t lose them.
- A Bathing Suit and Towel: You should also bring a bathing suit and towel with you. Even if you don’t plan on jumping in the water, you never know what will happen! Make sure you are wearing a bathing suit, and don’t forget to bring a towel you can use to dry off when you are done.
- Sunscreen: You must remember to bring sunscreen with you. Try to find something that will protect you against UVA and UVB radiation. You should also reach for something that has a high SPF rating so that it will last longer. Make sure to reapply sunscreen every few hours.
- Snacks and Drinks: Finally, make sure you bring snacks and drinks with you as well. You may not realize just how many calories you burn during this activity! You need to give your body the energy it needs to keep going!
These are a few of the most important things you need to bring with you if you plan on going stand-up paddleboarding on Saint Simons Island! Keep your eyes open for manatees, other paddlers, and amazing sightseeing opportunities during your sunset tour!
Where Should I Go Stand-Up Paddleboarding?
If you are visiting the Georgia Isles, you may be wondering why you should go stand-up paddleboarding. There are plenty of amazing locations located right on Saint Simons Island! For example, you may want to check out Gould’s Inlet. This is an ideal place for you to start if you are new to the sport. There are plenty of guided SUP tours available, so you can make sure you hit all the highlights! You can even sign up for a few lessons to help you master the basics before you go out on your own!
You might also want to check out East Beach, which is located just south of Gould’s Inlet. You are certainly welcome to bring your own equipment, but there are rental outfitters available as well! When you get tired of paddleboarding, you may want to play a round of golf at the King and Prince Beach & Resort! You can also chart your own adventure through some of the local waterways.
What Is the Best Way To Learn Stand-Up Paddleboarding?
The best way to learn how to use your SUP is to practice. Even though you might be a bit nervous about trying a new activity for the first time, you need to dive in! The first time you get on your board, you may want to have someone else with you who can show you how it’s done and make sure you remain steady. If you really want to master these skills as quickly as possible, you may want to sign up for a few lessons. For example, you may want to reach out to the Golden Isles Paddle Company on Jekyll Island, which can teach you and offer paddleboard tours and charters!
Get Ready for an Amazing Adventure!
If you are looking for a new place to go on vacation, you may want to check out Saint Simons Island. There are plenty of fun activities, including stand-up paddleboarding. If you are an experienced paddleboarder, there are plenty of fun activities to try! If you have never done this before, have no fear! There are plenty of lesson opportunities available, and you can get some exercise while taking advantage of everything that Brunswick, GA, Sea Island, and St. Simons Island have to offer.