Meet our dog – Ross the Bird Hunter!
St. Simons Dog & Pet Rules
• Dogs are prohibited on the beach from the Saturday before Memorial Day through Labor Day between the hours of 9:00 am and 6:00 pm, except between Beach Access Points 1-6.
• During allowable times and in non-summer months, dogs are allowed on any portion of the beach but must be within close proximity and under the immediate control of the owner/handler.
• Dogs are permitted on the Pier provided that they are leashed at all times.
Pet Friendly Nature Trails
With an abundance of trails in the Golden Isles to choose from, you and your pup will be able to stay in shape during your trip to the Golden Isles. Area nature trails are also a great way to experience the local wildlife and learn about the area’s beautiful environment.
St. Simons Island Trail System – Discover the charm of St. Simons Island via bicycle, with more than 30 miles of bike paths. You will be surrounded by beautiful mossy live oaks, marshlands, river views and ocean views along the way!
Southeast Georgia Health System Fitness Trail – Handicap accessible, the half-mile, paved trail is open daily from daylight to dusk. It curves and winds its way through a forest of live oaks, cedars, bamboo, and other native plants. Benches and fitness stations are there for you to use along the way.
Alice Richards Botanical Trail – Located within Frederica Park, the trail is where native plant species have been re-introduced to land that was once used for timber farming. The trail features a gazebo, children’s area of faerie houses and a labyrinth.
Located at the north end of St. Simons Island, off of Lawrence Road, Frederica Park’s dog park is the perfect place to explore with your pup. You could spend countless hours playing Frisbee, walking around or just relaxing with your furry friend. In addition to the dog park, Frederica Park also features a children’s playground, a hard surface jogging trail, picnic shelters and public restrooms.
There’s a certain excitement that comes with planning a getaway – especially when it’s a getaway to Georgia’s Golden Isles! The culture, beaches, nature, cuisine… surely, the very thought of it sends your anticipation skyrocketing, and you’re not the only one. You see that furry little mug staring at you right now as you read this? It’s the very face of loyalty, companionship, and love – and they just may be dreaming of an island escape, too!
We get it – you can’t bear to leave your buddy behind, and you shouldn’t have to. The St. Simons Island area is one of the most pet-friendly beach destinations you’ll find, and we’re happy to be an accommodating part of that welcoming culture! Snuggle up with Fido and let’s start planning your perfect pet-friendly Georgia Coast vacation!
Where To Stay
Well, that’s the easy part! Lighthouse Vacations has a variety of vacation rentals offering pet-friendly accommodations. From 2-6 bedrooms, starting as low as $99 per night, you can select the ideal vacation home for your family and itinerary. Choose from cozy island cottages and bungalows to luxury homes and condos in resort-style, oceanfront communities. on Sea Island, or top locations around St. Simons Island, including the Pier Village area. Many properties offer mesmerizing marsh or ocean views to keep your furry friend immersed in island beauty, even when you’re just lounging out “at home”.
Where To Shop
Don’t let your pup leave the Golden Isles without a stop (or two) at Island Dog! This pet-centric boutique offers treats, accessories, clothing, harnesses and matching leashes, dog strollers, backpacks, beach tents, and more. There’s even a dog bar where your pup can get some water and a snack to recharge while strolling around Pier Village. A welcome break, especially in the summer months!
Where To Eat
Several dog-friendly restaurants in the St. Simons Island area offer outdoor seating environments for a meal with a view. Here are some of the most popular spots to catch a bite and a break with your pooch:
View this post on Instagram
- Tramici – Neighborhood Italian eatery with indoor and outdoor seating. Offering salads, sandwiches, pasta, and pizzas, as well as an extensive wine list.
- Brogen’s – Laid-back bar and grill with burgers and classic pub grub. Enjoy ocean views from the multi-level patio.
- Iguanas Seafood – Surf-n-turf alongside a variety of sandwiches and burgers, and specialty entrees. Street patio seating allows dogs and water is provided for a cool-off!
- Sandcastle Café and Grill – Exceptional breakfast buffet and lunch menus featuring seafood, burgers, and sandwiches. Dog-friendly deck with beach views.
- The Half Shell – Wide assortment of seafood dishes – especially oyster selections, paired with wine, beer, and cocktails. Outdoor tables with dog-friendly seating.
- Palm Coast Coffee – Perfect for a quick pick-me-up! Cafe and coffeehouse with dog-friendly outdoor seating.
- Southern Soul Barbeque – Legendary bbq dishes – among the best in the south! Dogs welcome at front picnic tables and water bowls are provided. For a St. Simons Island travel guide, including Southern Soul Barbeque, click here.
Where To Play
Take A Hike
There are plenty of nature trails in the area for biking and hiking with your furry counterpart. It’s the ideal way to get out and enjoy the natural beauty of the barrier islands while giving your curious pal a chance to explore a whole new world. The St. Simons Island Trail System includes more than 30 miles of scenic bike-accessible paths through forests of live oak trees and marshlands. What a way to combine your fitness and pet-friendly activities!
Bark In The Park
St. Simons Island is home to two dog parks, located at Frederica Park and Epworth Park. The Frederica Park Dog Park at the north end of St. Simons Island offers separate areas for large and small dogs, each with its own water bowl, shade, and benches for human companions. Frederica Park also features a children’s playground, jogging trail, picnic areas and public restrooms. Epworth Park near Sea Island Road features a spacious fenced-in dog run as well as a Bocce ball court, public restrooms, picnic areas, tennis courts, and pickleball courts.
Life’s A Beach
View this post on Instagram
The St. Simons area is home to some of the most dog-friendly beaches on the East Coast. East Beach and Massengale Park are among the top local beaches for a stroll with your pup! From Memorial Day through Labor Day, dogs are welcome to visit the sandy shores before 9:00 AM and after 6:00 PM. From Labor Day through Memorial Day, dogs are permitted on the beach at any time. While leashes are not mandatory, dogs must be under the owner’s immediate control and capable of obeying voice commands. When leashes are in use, they cannot be longer than ten feet in length. Failure to comply with regulations will result in fines. Please bring disposal bags to clean up after your pet. Trash receptacles can typically be found at public beach access points.
For more beach fun, dogs are allowed on the beach north of the Coast Guard Station anytime. Leashed dogs are also allowed on Jekyll Island Beach at multiple locations.